Fixing Sims 3 Error Code 12 the right way

Today we will learn how you can fix Sims 3 Error Code 12 which is usually caused when you play Sims 3 Game. This Error code 12 shows you that you does not have enough memory for saving this game and as a result you get failed in saving your game data. So, Continue your reading and have a look to the Steps to Fix this Error while playing Sims 3.

Symptoms of Sims 3 Error Code 12

1. Character or game textures can start loading incorrectly.

2. You can loose your previously saved file. You can also be prevented by saving your game file until you restart your game.

3. By creating your sim mode or when you change your families your game can take too much loading time or can get failed while loading.

4. Your game can stop suddenly or can redirect you back on your desktop.

5. Your computer can stop working suddenly and then forcefully you have to restart your system.

6. Your email id or password can desync from the game wall.

7. You can be prevented by logging into the game even when you have entered the right combination.

8. You can also face corruption of your saved files.

If you Don't worry of losing your saved data then these all problems can be easily solved after restarting your game. As these problems are temporary so you need not to take much tension. But if you really got annoyed from these problems so let me tell you that by doing some simple solutions Error Code 12 in Sims 3 can be fixed permanently.

The company has issued one patch on November 19, 2009 for removing these type error from the game. After installing the patch for The Sims 3 Pets you can easily fix this Sims 3 Error Code 12 but this error can occur again if you are playing The Sims 3 Showtime.

What is Sims 3 Error Code 12 ?

Sims 3 Error Code 12 generally occurs when user doesn’t have much memory for saving the game properly.

You can see this error if you try to take a lot action in creating a Sim mode which includes different outfits and plannings.

Eror Code 12 in Sims 3 game originates because of too much loading in your RAM and then as a result low space in saving game files.

How can you avoid Sims 3 Error Code 12?

After reading the above symptoms carefully of this error code 12 you already know that what you have to do for preventing you game from this error code 12. You just need to keep in mind that your system have enough space for saving your game files. I will specially recommend you to save your data at night time when all sims are sleeping or you can also prefer saving your data before going on any type of adventure.

At the last you should not run any program in the background while playing this game because they will consume your RAM. Also make sure to close all type of unnecessary programs which are running on your computer like music players or internet browsers. You should also try to minimize your actions like pressing windows key or switching up to your task manager because it will affect your computer processing.

How to fix Sims 3 Error Code 12 ?

Sims 3 Error Code 12 suddenly occurs while you are trying to save your data then it is possible that you cannot reload the game without fully restarting it. By unloading some loaded information and in this way you can solve your RAM issues.
You can also switch your game to active families option and then try to save your file. If you get failed during saving your file properly then you can also try to save your data by trying “Save As” option and then providing your file a new name. This should ultimately Solve the problem of Sims 3 Error Code 12 for you

So these are the ways by which you can save your files easily. Hope, you have enjoyed this article while reading. If you have any questions in your mind after reading this article so kindly share your questions by leaving your comment below. At the last do not forgot to share this article with your friends.

14 comments

I tried using the "Save as..." option as you mentioned but the error still popped up! This is really frustrating!

Just start a new world. Just put the active sim family into the bin, and transfer them into a new world. Worked for me.

Thank you for the suggestion @ItsmeMaria, this will help other visitors too.

Unless you have plenty of RAM one thing which frequently causes Error 12 is extended sessions in Build/Buy mode, especially if you tear down and rebuild too much (all that undo data is stored in RAM); so if you plan on such work, save your game first, exit and reload, do the Build/Buy work, save, exit, and reload again to play.

If you get an Error 12 from just a long playing session, try going to Build/Buy or Edit Town for a minute then return to Live mode and try "save as"; this unloads much of the game to the swap file to make room for the other mode, when you return to live mode the game is reloaded from the swap file ...but only the necessary parts of the game, not all the extra data stuffed into RAM as you play.

Another thing which helps greatly is to use Twallan 's Overwatch and ErrorTrap mods. The former runs a cleanup which removes unnecessary items from memory (such as NPC vehicles), the latter catches script issues which can hog resources (such as a stuck sim due to routing problems). I always wait until my sims are all in bed and around 2:50AM reset the game to normal speed, at 3AM Overwatch does its cleanup, a few sim-minutes later I do a "save as".

I run Sims 3 with only two EPs on a mere 2gig RAM and have not experienced an Error 12 in ages.

Our children's PC has 3GB RAM and Intel GMA 945 with 128MB graphic memory. So, my daughter cried when she had Error code 12. I didn't close (or quit) Sims 3. Then I tried to find solution, and I found this site. And I increased size of pagefile of Windows. Originaly this notebook has 4GB pagefile but it isn't enough for saving in Sims 3. I increased this pagefile to 6GB. Then return to Sims 3 and click on Save. Voila!!! It is done. Then I want to share my success to others in here.
If you don't know what is pagefile and how to increase it, I try to explain it. Pagefile is virtual memory space on hard disk. When computer's RAM is not sufficient, Windows write some of data on RAM to pagefile.sys file. So, if you need more RAM, you should increase this virtual memory. How to increase its size?
1. Right click on 'Computer' in 'Start' menu
2. Click on 'Properties'
3. When a window opened, click on 'Advanced system settings', which is located top-left of the window.
4. When 'System properties' window opened, click on 'Advanced' tab.
5. Then click on 'Settings' button on 'Performance' area.
6, It will open 'Performance Options' and click on 'Advanced' tab.
7. Click on 'Change' button in 'Virtual memory' area.
8. You can see how much pagefile on which drive in 'Virtual memory' window
9. Then choose your hard drive with pagefile. Usually 'C' drive.
10. Then click on 'Custom size' and write 6144 (at least for me) in both 'Initial size' and 'Maximum size'
11. Click on 'Set' button.
12. Then Ok and OK buttons.
13. Return to Sims 3, and click on Save.
Done!!!

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I hope you will understand.

Every time I use the "Save As" option, it deletes my family.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was really sad because I had done so much and I followed your advice, no offense but since I was changing something that didn't look like was sims i was worried it would crash my computer or break it and it didn't! I can't thank you enough... Ik I'm weird :3!

I recieved the error code after trying to save. I tried the "save as" option and overwritten my game and sims stopped working and now my game is gone..

I tried all of the suggested resolutions above but nothing worked... All I did was play a long session.

Not a thing is working. Nothing. I have more then enough ram. I am not sure why this is working. I just constantly get error 12, and re-creates a new .bad game. I keep exciting the game, not fully leaving the game, just getting back on my home screen. I delete the bad file, and try again too save. I am getting fustrated because I keep making games, try too save them, and I keep getting error 12.

It still says that for me, it didn't help, I had to restart PC before custom size works

I kept getting error 12 no matter what I did. After reading about RAM usage, I scrolled out to town view and saved from there and bingo! I hope it works for someone else.

Thank you For sharing this with us MAJICA.