Microsoft Edge Closes Immediately after opening - Solved

Since the Windows 10 Upgrade has taken place, we have been discussing various Problems and issues that Users are facing. Earlier we discusses how to fix This app has been blocked for your Protection Error while installing Programs. Yet another Issue that windows 10 Users are facing is That Microsoft Edge Closes Immediately after starting or Opening it.

One can only imagine why this happens because the issue is still new and one can not find much information about it. But the main reason behind this Edge Crash should be the Startup page. Its a Page that is shown when you first launch Microsoft edge.

It can be said that Microsoft edge might have issues with loading Startup page and so it crashes and closes Immediately after launch. Let us see a Possible way to fix this issue yourself.

Fixing Microsoft Edge Closing Automatically Issue.

So after Researching a bit on this issue, we Finally decided to write this Fix which we think should work best. Though there is not much help available on the Forums. The Suggested Fixes for this Problem provided on some forums are Complicated and too much to digest for a normal Windows 10 user.

Here on Fixerrs.com we will be solving the issue by Making Small Change in MS Edge Settings. Let us see how to do it.

You might want to Disconnect your Internet Connection if Microsoft Edge Closes itself again before you Perform below Mentioned Steps. Disconnecting Internet will let you do these steps without any issue.

Step 1: Open Microsoft Edge.

Step 2: Click on More Actions (3 dots) Located on Top Right corner Under Close Button.

Step 3: Click On Settings.

Step 4: Now you will see 4 Options Under "Open With" , Select 4th Option which says "A Specific Page or Pages"

Step 5: Now Under that you will see a Bar, Keep it as Default or Select Custom and add any Url like www.google.com just like shown in Below Picture.

Microsoft Edge Closes Immediately after opening

Now Close MS Edge and Open it again. The issue should be fixed and now it won't Close itself immediately.

if you are still unable to do the above steps and MS edge crashes immediately, Then Type anything in Cortana search, say like www.facebook.com and hit enter. if Edge is your default browser then it will open of Facebook, This time it will not crash and will let you do the above steps.

UPDATE 1: Turn on Windows Firewall

If Simply Changing Startup page doesn't help, then its clear that Startup page is not an issue. On further research we found that if your Windows Firewall is Turned Off then you might have this issue in Microsoft Edge.

If you have Turned Windows Firewall off due to any reason, then you Simply need to Turn it on. Follow the steps:
  1. Search and open up Control Panel.
  2. Now Click on System & Security > Windows Firewall.
  3. From the left side click on Turn Windows Firewall On or OFF.
  4. Next, Click on Turn On Windows Firewall and Click OK.

If this does not help then Try to Delete your Browsing History. So first of all Open Edge again, Click on More action(3 Dots on top right corner), Now go to Settings >Scroll down to find Clear Browsing data > Choose what to Clear > Clear.

This will Delete your Browsing History and might just help you to fix this issue as well.

UPDATE 2: Tweaking Registry

Thanks Youngjae KIM for your input and Steps to solve this issue, This Solution requires you to tweak Registry and it must be done carefully.

Kindly Scroll down to the Comment section or Click Here to Read the Comment by Younjae KIM with the steps. Reply to the same comment if it works for you.

Temporary fix to Microsft Edge Crash after Opening.

So if the above steps does not help you, then you might want to try and add another user to your Computer, Then Sign out from the Current Account and log in to the Newly Created Account.

Now Try and open MS edge. It will not Shutdown in like 5 seconds now. This would show that your is some problem in your Account which now one is quite sure of.

But this Will help you to Carry on with Browsing your stuff which was not allowed earlier. And if you do not have any other Browser installed on your System yet then with this method you can Download Chrome or Firefox on your PC too.

Let us know in comments if the above mentioned steps fixed you issue or not. If you successfully Solved this issue on your own with any other Method, then Care to share in Comments below.

38 comments

I can't get edge to stay open to try this.

hi, Did you Tried Turning off your Internet and then opening Edge?

I disconnected the Internet to the computer, and Edge still opened and then closed.

Having the same problem....Guess back to Chrome it is

Same problem I am having. I want to check settings and/or apply fixes, but Edge will not stay open long enough for me to do anything.

I even tried reinstalling edge with the power shell script. I even ran the upgrade again. I am getting the feeling that there is something wrong with the account. It has gotten corrupted in some way. I don't expect to hear anything from Micro$oft on this either. I am seeing reports of this from back in July. You would think from all the beta testing and spying they do that there would be a fix by now.

I installed Win 10 Build 10586.36 and it solved my problem.

Edge worked when I first installed Win 10. After I changed some settings, it began closing right after starting, and I was forced to create another user account if I wanted to run Edge.

Last night, I installed build 10586.36 and everything was fixed.

This didn't work for me. Looks like the worst browser i ever used. Crashes always. Powershell resinstallation didn't work. Internet disconnection also won't work. New user created working! Need to wait for another windows update. I feel like this Windows 10 pro, is not stable. Also having issues, eventhough it opens very fast for few days after installation. It is again a biggest disaster for Microsoft. I feel like Windows 7 is the best. I already degraded back to it. Now everything is back to normal and fine.

How do you upgrade to build 10586.36

What a sham. Bought new lenovo PC and it crashes. Taking PC back tomorrow as a PC should come with working software. Not up to me to start researching problem. The developers should have done that.

Just moved one of my PCs to Windows 10. Mistake. Edge closes if I enter any url and should get a 404 error.

Launch ie from programs folder. Change browser in ie or download Chrome or Firefox.

what a piece!!! HA HA HA Thank god I have firefox and chrome installed

Try this.
I truly solve the problem.

1. Open regedit
2. go to location as below

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

3. right click folder "microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe" at the left panel, and click Permission.

4. select third Unknown account (S-1-15-3-3624051433 ....)
5. You will see only Read permission is selected. Let's check "All permission".
6. Click OK and close the window.

Now good to go.

Youngjae KIM's solution is brilliant! I have edge browser working now. Thank you!! I tried all the other methods (including reinstalling edge) posted at many places and none of those work. This is the only solution that works for me. (Actually edge browser works in the account with administrative privilege but has never worked in an user account until now.)

Unfortunately it didn't work... Any other options?

No, id didn't work for me either =(

Your suggested procedure did not work for me. When I reached the final screen my choices were to select "Full Control" or "Special permissions" versus "All permission." I did try "Full Control" but it did not work. Other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

This worked flawlessly, i didn't have an option for 'all permission' and went ahead and checked full control and it worked. thanks so much.

Hello MARISSA ZAMORA, We are glad that you finally managed to solve this MS Edge Issue. Happy Surfing !!!

Wow worked great for me. I just opened edge then went over to the three line on the top right then click on settings, then click on a specific page or pages, then just under that it says enter a web address so I typed in google.com and it was done...Give it a try..Thank for all of your help.

I opened the regedit but I did not have a classes folder where u located it so I couldn't fix the issue.

I've tried all the solutions and the only one that worked was to have it open in Internet Explorer. I set up my wife's account on my computer and my computer would not reboot until she accepted it on hers. I then was able to reboot and logged into her account where Edge worked. However, it still doesn't work when I log into my account,except when I type in a question which is redirected to IE.

Work for me. Thanks!

Worked for me, thanks!

Version 1511 (Build 10586.318)
Edge was working fine until I installed the update this morning.
I have tried all the "fixes" including editing the registry, but Edge will not stay open.

None of these solutions worked for me. I finally got mine to work after uninstalling my HP printer software. Must have been a conflict

You are a genius! Thank you very much! This really solved the issue. So grateful!

Not working......

None of these things work, My problems started last Friday when I could not start the computer because of an inaccessible boot device. I did a system reset because that was the only thing that could get it started. It removed some programs including the Google Chrome browser we usually use. Despite the fact that according to the icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen says it's connected to the internet, it's not connected to the internet. Edge closes immediately after I click on it. Cortina says there is no internet connection (even though there is) and when I click on the store app, it gives the following error message 0x80072EE7. Every effort I have made to fix all of these things has been unsuccessful. I can't download any of those easy fix programs because there is supposedly no internet access. What, if anything, did I do wrong and what, if anything, can be done to fix it?

Hello Tobes, I can understand your Frustration. Can you try to reset your windows 10? Or you can even revert back to your previous version of windows.

Try to contact Microsoft as a last resort if problem continues.

Just want to say this fix worked for me. I didn't have the "All Permission" box and like others mentioned above, went with the "Full Control." Now Edge works without closing. Brilliant! Thank you very much!

Great solution ... many thanks

I have tried this, and it did not work at all. I went back to the destination and the permissions were reset. it was working before a Microsoft update.

Thank you so much! Its the only thing Ive tried that actually worked!

Many thanks
It worked!

Check that ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES-group has Full permissions to the registry-key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider

The problem for us was that a GPO was messing with the permissions on that registry-key.